Tuesday, May 01, 2007

*Attention*

Even though I SHOULD be working on finishing Chapter 12 :), I am in the process of revising/editing my previous chapters (don't worry, Chapter 12 will be finished sooner rather than later). There are a few issues I need to take care of plot-wise before I can continue. I will probably post the revised versions at some point, but in the meantime, here's what you might be interested to know:

Junia, the little girl who Daelia takes under her wing in the beginning, has now been cut out of the story. I felt that that part of the story was pretty much worthless, as the girl has no further part in the story.

I know that so far, the issues with the governor, taxes, etc. has been a pervading, yet still kind of minor/shallow part of the story. As an aspect of the story that is central to the plot, I am going back and doing a little revising and adding in small glimpses into the back-story, hopefully to peak interest, and add a sense of the controversy/climax which is to come.

The following scene is one that I have added to the beginning of Chapter 3, which falls just after Daelia has arrived in Parsaena and is staying in Finneas's shop. Please read it and let me know what you think...does it peak your interest? Here it is:


-----

Across the city, Deveral Severus, Most Revered Governor of Parsaena, was in conference. The gothic arches of the ancient hall stood sentry as the governor and a dark, hooded figure passed slowly through the heart of the castle, voices hushed so as not to carry down the vast corridor.

“What is your assessment of the situation?” the man in the dark cloak was asking the governor.

“My standing as the sole power in this city grows stronger each day,” Severus murmured to his companion.

“I have no interest in where you stand. I care only about where you are going.”

“All is progressing well.”

“It progresses, and that is all,” the hooded figure answered in measured tones, “Do not be overly confident in the ladder you now climb. If you step too quickly, you will step wrongly, and there is no surviving such a fall.”

“Then I shall tighten my grip, High One.”

The High One nodded his head in approval, “But just remember that to squeeze too quickly might raise the heads of the few among us who still question our power over them. Tighten your grip slowly, just a little at a time, and they will not even realize they cannot breathe…until they are already dead.”

“Do you propose that we kill off an entire city?”

The High One chuckled, a low and evil sound, “Yes, we will kill them; in every way but physically. In all of them, freedom will die a very slow death indeed; and what is man without freedom? No better than dead.”

Severus smiled at the power that was surely to be his.

The hooded man stopped walking and turned to Severus, “But this is not to be taken lightly; our victory is not yet in hand. Let my warning be heard, Severus. You must take great caution! This evening as I consulted the spirits, I was shown your impending ruin should you not heed my advice.

“Three days past something entered this city that will threaten our future. If not rooted out and destroyed, this new force could bring about our utter destruction.”

7 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

That sounds cool!!!!! :)

7:57 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Oh dear me!
You are peaking my interest and not giving me more to read yet?!?

7:58 PM  
Blogger Emily Nelson said...

Yes, this is good. Definitely interested me. I'm curious as to the great force that entered the city; is that supposed to be Daelia? If so--SWEET! I have no clue, though...I'm probably way off.

Looking forward to chapter 12!!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Brittany Simmons said...

YES that draws my interest! Daelia's story is getting more awesome all the time. But let me say something about deleting Junia-she may be completely unnecessary at this point, but who knows? You might have some use for her later. Since we've all read about her already, I'm not sure you should delete her right now. If she never shows up again, you can get rid of her in the second draft. Besides, she and the baker fellow who had to close his shop add faces and names to what is going on in this land. They place things on a more personal level.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Brittany Simmons said...

By the way, I like these entries regarding your writing. It's fun to talk about our stories, even when it's just lamenting the problems in them. We do that a lot at the chats on Thursdays. If you're ever free some Thursday afternoon/evening, you should get on AIM if you have it. There're usually at least a few of us on for three whole hours from 4:30 EST on. You're such a sweet, interesting person, Rachel, and I'd love to get to know you better.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You're so creative! I love everything about the story so far too--I wouldn't wear yourself out doing drastic changes, unless you already have a bigger plan! :-) 'Cause it all makes sense and is usable later. I do love the suspicious activity, and a chance to see from the "bad-guys" POV. It's was kinda all veiled what the heroine was fighting against...now you get a chance to dislike, and do battle with Daelia against her adversaries! :-) Love it, Rach! :-) Keep putting your heart into it, it's workin'! :-)

6:58 AM  
Blogger Emily Nelson said...

Where is Daelia....oh where did she go....I miss her greatly....
GET CRACKIN' RACH III!!!! We're all impatiently waiting--sheesh!!

(Hehehe, okay, that was overboard. But STILL!)

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home